The one and only one government college in Kollam district - the Baby John Memorial Government College, Chavara - is established on 26th August 1981 by the Kerala state government and is affiliated to the University of Kerala, Thiruvnanathapuram. It meets the long cherished dream of the natives of Chavara and its surrounding regions. The College is managed and maintained by the Department of Collegiate Education of the government of Kerala and is recognized by the University Grants Commission under sec 2(f) and 12 (B) of the UGC Act, 1956. It aims to uplift the younger generation from their social and educational backwardness who otherwise would have been forced to eke out a living by fishing and the traditional coir industry. Our college has been striving to strengthen the objective of facilitating higher education for the meritorious and the talented to ensure social justice through higher standards of performance.
The campus with an area of 10 acres is located at Sankaramangalam, on the western banks of Ashtamudi Lake, eastern coast of Arabian Sea and on the side of NH 47 having a distance of 14 Kms north of Kollam City, completing 33 years of its service in the field of higher education in the district Kollam.
The college was established at Chavara following the constant efforts of the former honourable minister of Kerala Shri Baby John. Initially, this institution started functioning in a temporary building owned by Government High School for Girls Chavara with four Pre-Degree course batches with a total strength of 400 students. The construction of the first building for the college was completed and is formally inaugurated by the then Hon: Minister Sri.Premachandran on 17th June 2006. The second building was inaugurated by the then Hon: Chief Minister Sri. V.S. Achuthanandan.
Shri. Baby John (1917-2008)